Tuesday, July 29, 2008

What's on your nightstand?

5 minutes for books is hosting a "What's On Your Nightstand" carnival and I have decided to play along.

Just Finished: I just recently finished "The Constant Princess" by Philippa Gregory. She wrote "The Other Boelyn Girl," which I read over the winter and this book was the first in Henry VIII series. I really like "The Other Boelyn Girl" so I thought I would go back to the beginning. The book was about Catherine of Aragon and her relationship with Henry VIII brother, Arthur. She was betrothed and married to him and he was to be the next king of England but he died 6 months into their marriage and she went on to marry Henry. It was really interesting and a good read. I'd give it a B, maybe B+.

In Progress: Sticking with the historical fiction theme, I am about 3/4th of the way done Philippa Gregory's follow up to "The Other Boelyn Girl" called "The Boelyn Inheritance." I really, really like this book. I started on Sunday and should finish today if that doesn't tell you how much I like it. It is about wives number 4 (Anne of Cleves) and number 5 (Katherine Howard, who was Anne Boelyn's cousin and met a very similar fate as her). It has been really interesting to watch her development of King Henry as he has gone from a boy recently crowned to a fat, sickly old man. So far, I would give this an A-.

Up Next: I am so excited about the next book on the nightstand. It is by Jen Lancaster and it has the funniest title. It's called "Bitter is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smart Ass, Or, Why you Should Never Carry a Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office." I have heard that Jen Lancaster is really funny and I could use a good laugh after all of the wife killing I have been reading about with Henry VIII!

4 comments:

Denise said...

Hey Kelly - that is funny to me that I read this post and you are reading/read the other "The Other Boelyn Girl" Funny cause I had not heard of it and came across the movie - just last night I was looking up what it was about etc. Will have to read the book now instead. On my nightstand - The people's history of the United States by howard Zinn.

Unknown said...

LOL about needing to switch up genres!

Lindsay said...

I have a couple of Philippa Gregory's books.. I really want to start reading them, I keep forgetting about them when I go to start a new book. I really liked the The Other Boelyn movie so I need to read the book now :-)

Angie said...

I have "The Other Boelyn Girl" sitting on my TBR bookshelf. I'm backwards and I read "The Boelyn Inheritance" not know that it was a follow up to "The Other Boelyn Girl" But it was a really good book.