Thursday, July 17, 2008

Highway Berry Pickers!

So in the past couple of days I have seen cars with their four ways flashing on the shoulder near the exit of the highway that I drive on everyday. The drivers are out of the car and rummaging through the brush picking berries???

The first time I saw a car pulled over there and a man rummaging through the brush, I thought to myself or maybe I said it out loud to the kiddos, which we all know is really like talking to yourself, "Man, he must have lost something seriously important to take his life into his own hands and go into the gross brush on the side of the highway." Well, he is taking his life into his own hands for highway berries...why?

First of all, YUCK! Think of all the exhaust from the all the cars and trucks. I am totally grossed out by the thought of eating anything grown on the side of a major thoroughfare.

Second, why risk it man! Are the berries that good? Does the exhaust and other pollution make the berries extra sweet and tasty (not that I will ever find out!)? I mean there is hardly a shoulder and the cars drive really fast...one minute you are picking berries and the next you are roadkill.

I am just so utterly confused and grossed out by this and it wasn't just this one guy either. Almost everyday this week, I have seen someone pulled over berry picking. I know berries are expensive but I will never resort to stopping on the highway to pick tomorrow morning's breakfast...that is the truth!

So all drivers, beware of the berry pickers. I would hate to see anyone responsible for hurting one of the many hungry highway berry pickers. And if you are a highway berry picker yourself, please enlighten me.

5 comments:

Julie said...

lol berry pickers!
now you've got me intrigued as to which road this is! hahaha

(i think berries taste better shrink wrapped! j/k)

Sarah said...

Okay so you know the home made DEER signs that are all over? The ones some KA-RAZY Deer lover puts up to save the deer... Anyway, I DOUBLE DOG DARE YOU to make one that says BERRY PICKERS and put it near the berries.
I will do it with you say on .. TUESDAY NIGHT.. 10PM-ish.

Anonymous said...

yick. Some places spray pesticides at the sides of highways to keep the weeds down... I wouldn't be picking those berries!

Teresa said...

that's pretty odd. :) kind of like buying a soft pretzel off the route 1 expressway in the northeast! although, they're not allowed to do that anymore...think it might've been the fact that eating a pretzel tasting like exhaust is a health risk!? anywho, we'll stick with the store bought or produce junction berries.

DembroskyFamily said...

I love my berries but I would never resort to picking them on the sied of the road!